Sunday, April 10, 2005

1st Battle in the War of the Seized Bolts

Well, this weekend I set out to do some of my first projects on the car. Replace the O2 sensor, change tranny fluid, check the brake pads and rotors, and replace all the hood shocks front and back. I figured this would only take a couple of hours...easily accomplished in the morning. It is amazing how far from reality time estimations can be.

First the O2 sensor. Everything was going great until I got to the point where I was actually removing the old sensor. Apparently, catalytic converter really liked the sensor because it refused to give it up. After much pulling and consternation, we decided on plan B (remove the wheel and torch converter until it gives up the sensor. Unfortunately, the wheels had wheel locks and I did not have the key for the locking lug nut. So project 2: FAILURE after three hours. This discovery also made brake, rotor and tie rod inspections impossible.

disappointed, I regrouped and set about changing the tranny fluid. The book says 1/2 hour...it took me 2. Once again seized bolts did me in. It sounds relatively simple: remove plugs, empty, replace plugs, fill. However, the plugs are steel and the transmission is aluminum...constant heating and cooling = death grip. With a breaker bar I finally got the drain plug off, but ended up stripping the head of the fill plug. So right now I have managed to back myself into a corner, because I have no tranny fluid in the car and no way to add any. I felt sick. Fortunately, one of the craft shop mechanics knew a trick and used a center punch and hammer on the outside of the plug to break it free. PHEW!! What a huge sigh of relief. Filled it put everything back to together: SUCCESS. It was 2:30 (I showed up at 9).

I went home, had some lunch and starting thinking about doing something else with what remained of the day. Instead, I kept thinking about the hood shocks. By 3:30 I was outside and again under the hood. Fortunately, this project went very smoothly and all four were changed within the matter of an hour: SUCCESS. No the hood no longer falls on my head.

Side notes: Once I got the car up in the air I easily identified the oil leak. The hose coming off the oil reservoir is cracked. A very easy fix. Also, looking at all the rusted bolts...I am probably going to be investing in a tap and die kit soon. I would have pictures but I forgot my camera.

Cost:
Craftshop bay cost: $10
Air filter recharger kit: $10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home